Buster's friend's Note:
I love fresh almond cookies! PICHET ONG'S HOLIDAY COOKIES adapted from http://www.newasiancuisine.com/newsletter/dec06/recipe_pichetong_holidaycookies.asp Prep time includes chilling the dough. Chef's Quote "These are a staple in traditional Chinese restaurants. Unfortunately, the store-bought variety tends to be hard and tasteless. But this version is wonderfully light, with a crisp edge and chewy center. The traditional cookies are also a dull, dark yellow from an egg yolk wash. I use an egg white wash to get the same glazed effect in a creamy shimmer. Finally, the slivered almonds on top add a nice crunch and a fresh, toasted nut flavor."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift together the flour, sugar, and baking soda.
- 2Put the almond flour, butter, and salt into a second bowl and mix until the mixture resembles cornmeal, about 3 minutes if using food procesor with paddle attachment on medium speed.
- 3Add the egg and almond extract and mix until well-incorporated.
- 4Add the flour mixture. Mix just until no traces of flour remain.
- 5Transfer the dough to a large sheet of plastic wrap, flatten into a 1-inch thick disc, cover tightly, and refrigerate until hard, at least 30 minutes.
- 6Preheat the oven to 325°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 7Form the dough into 1/2-inch balls and put on the baking sheets 1 inch apart. Use the palm of your hand to press the balls into 1-inch circles. Press slivered almonds into each cookie, decoratively arranging them.
- 8Brush the tops of the cookies with the egg white, then bake until golden and crisp around the edges, 15 minutes.
- 9Cool completely on the cookie sheet and serve or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Almond Cookies:
Serving Size: 1 (807 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.1
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 19.4 mg
- Sodium 60.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: