Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cookies to have anytime . I made them for a Luau. One make ahead dessert.
Make and share this Chinese Almond Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift flour with sugar, soda salt and cinnamon into a large bowl or food processor by pulsing 3-4 times. Mix in shortening and knead thoroughly (8 to 10 minutes by hand 60 second to 1 minute with food processor).
- Combine egg and almond extract; stir into flour mixture. Mix well.
- Shape into balls using 1 tablespoon of dough.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets and make a depression in the top with the thumb. Press a blanched whole or sliced almond into the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Makes six dozen.
I have an old recipe for almond cookies that I have misplaced, so when I saw these, I decided to bake them. They were good, but, unfortunately did not meet my expectations. If I never baked them before, I may not have had anything to compare, so my bias is really based on that. I am also wondering if making these with butter would work, as I don't like to use shortening for health reasons, but am concerned that the consistency would be different. My DH liked these better than I did, and I would make them again, if I can't locate my original recipe. Thanks, Rita, for posting.
Oh, yes. We loved these cookies. Loved the flavor without the overpowering sweetness. Loved the way the crumbled in my mouth. Everyone at my chinese meal for Bible Study loved them too. Will try them without nuts as well as with pecans sometime.
Thank goodness our son came over and took these off our hands! He saved us from ourselves. Oh my, these were so good! Perfectly delicate. I left out the cinnamon because I didn't want anything interfering with the almond taste! I used just a wee bit more almond extract, just a few drops.I never knew to use my food processor for cookie dough. Even my husband said, "WOW you almost beat the oven pre-heating to make that dough!" I love your recipes, Rita, and this is another one I will always keep! Thanks!