4 hrs 40 mins
4 hrs 10 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
I like to make rolls with leftover mashed potatoes and I like the taste of Chinese 5 spice with anise. The rolls are very moist.
My Private Note
roll pe ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 teaspoons white sugar (for proofing yeast)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup Crisco, melted
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 -7 cups flour, some flour reserved for floured board
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (Note, reduce the amount of sour cream if you are using leftover mashed potatoes with sour cream or)
- 8 tablespoons margarine
- Pam cooking spray (for greasing 9 X 13 pans)
- 4 tablespoons remaining margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1In a glass 4 cup measuring cup add warm water, yeast. Stir let set until dissolved. Add warm milk and proofing sugar, stir until mixed.
- 2In a large bowl, about 7 quarts capacity, pour yeast mixture. Add white sugar, Crisco, eggs salt and Chinese 5 spice; mix.
- 3In smaller bowl, mix 3 cups flour and baking powder.
- 4Add sour cream and mashed potatoes. Mix well.
- 5Add enough flour in small amounts and mix in to make the dough easy to handle.
- 6Turn out on a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Add more flour as needed. You need to knead it in the dough.
- 7Grease a large bowl or bowls with margarine. If necessary use two greased bowls and separate the dough. Place dough in bowl, then turn so greased side is up. Cover with a damp cloth. Do not let cloth touch the dough.
- 8Let rise until doubled. You can let rise in a warm oven if you want (heat oven to 200° then shut off and keep door shut until doubled).
- 9Divide dough into 4 sections or 3 sections in you want big fat rolls.
- 10Roll each section to a rectangle 10 X 12.
- 11Spread remaining margarine on rectangles.
- 12Mix 4 tablespoons margarine, brown sugar, Chinese 5 Spice, cardamom and cinnamon.
- 13Sprinkle on the rectangles.
- 14Roll starting at the long edge. Pinch edges together.
- 15Use dental floss or sharp knife to cut the dough rolls, every 2 1/2 to 3 inches.
- 16I like to warm my metal pans, it speeds the rising process. Place cut rolls in pans allowing space between. Cover, let rise until double.
- 17Preheat oven to 350°. Bake about 35 minutes.
- 18Turn out on foil or wax paper counter, turn out of pans while hot. Let cool.
- 19Mix the frosting, turn the rolls over and frost.
- 20Note: You may refrigerate the cut rolls overnight to double, then bake if you wish.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese 5 Spice Sour Cream Potato Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.2
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 16.4 mg
- Sodium 275.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 19.0 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder
Chinese five spice powder