Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 hrs
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup chinese rice wine or 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons asian dark sesame oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and gently crushed with the side of a cleaver
- 5 slices fresh ginger, peeled and gently crushed with the side of a cleaver (1/4-inch thick slices)
- 3 scallions, white parts gently crushed with the side of a cleaver, green parts minced
- 2 slabs baby back ribs (4-5 lbs. total)
- 1 1⁄2 cups wood chips, soaked for 1 hour in water to cover, then drained (preferably cherry)
- In a bowl, combine hoisin sauce, sugar, and five-spice powder; then add in soy sauce, rice wine, and sesame oil; whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, and scallion whites; set 1/3 of the marinade aside to make a sauce.
- Remove the thin, papery membrane from the back of the rack of ribs.
- Place the ribs in a nonreactive roasting pan or baking dish just large enough to hold them.
- Pour the remaining marinade over the ribs and spread it all over the racks with a rubber spatula, turning to coat both sides.
- Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or as long as overnight, turning them 3 or 4 times.
- Set up and light your smoker following manufactuer’s instructions and preheat to low (225-250 degrees); place ribs (drain them well first) in the smoker bone side down and smoke until cooked through, 4-5 hours; you will need to replenish the wood chips after the first and second hour of smoking and to replenish the coals every hour.
- Meanwhile, transfer the reserved marinade to a saucepan, let come to a gentle simmer over medium heat; cook until thick and flavorful, about 3 minutes.
- Let the sauce cool to room temperature, then strain it into a serving bowl.
- Transfer ribs to a large platter or cutting board; let ribs rest for a few minutes, then cut the racks in half or into individual ribs.
- Brush or drizzle the ribs with some of the sauce and sprinkle the scallion greens on top.
- Serve immediately with remaining sauce on the side.