Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This delicious salad comes from the Barefoot Contessa show. Enjoy!
Make and share this China Chicken Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 4 chicken breast halves (bone-in, skin-on)
- olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, ends removed,and cut in thirds diagonally
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded and cut in strips about size of asparagus pieces
- 2 scallions, sliced diagonally (white and green parts)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
For the dressing
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup good apple cider vinegar (try a splash of balsamic vinegar with this!)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peeled grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken breasts on a shallow pan and rub the skin with olive oil.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred the chicken in large bite-sized pieces.
- Blanch the asparagus in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender.
- Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking.
- Combine the cut chicken, asparagus, and peppers in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the chicken and vegetables.
- Add the scallions and sesame seeds and season to taste.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Very tastey and colorful salad. I enjoyed my salad cold. The dressing was delicious! Made for Please Review My Recipe Tag. Thanks for a different twist on chicken salad!
Excellent recipe with fabulous flavour. Very easy and so tasty. I used a BBQ chicken and served with lettuce and crispy tortillas. Thanks Sharon for another great recipe!
Another divine salad from the Contessa. The dressing is what sets this one apart with its lively flavors. Brightly colored and filling. I also recommend eating this one cold. Thanks for posting.