Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Celery with seasoned pressed bean curd by Florence Lin from Chinese Vegetarian Cooking
- 1 stalk celery or 2 celery hearts
- 2 pieces pressed spicy bean curd
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon msg
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded szechwan preserved vegetables (optional)
- The two squares of bean curd is 3 X 3 X 1/3 inch.
- Scrape off outer layer of celery rib. Break ribs in half and destring. Wash, drain and dry. Cut croswise into small slices. There should be about 4 cups when you are done. Place in salad bowl.
- Slice bean curd laterally, making layers 1/16 inch thick. Cut into fine julienne strips. There should be 2 cups. Combine with celery.
- Combine the dressing ingredients. Mix until sugar and salt are completely dissolved in soy sauce. Pour over the tofu and mix just before serving.
- Serves 4 with other dishes.
- You may add the Szechuan to the dish to add tang. This is Szechuan Cha Ts'ai
- Reduce salt if needed.
- The recipe for the Seasoned Press Bean Curd is Wu Hsiang Tou Fu Kan.
- Phil's note: Freeze the tofu it will make it easier to work with. The tofu called for here is Cotton tofu.