Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are delectable and are really tasty topped with my tofu guacamole (recipe is posted with Carol's Vegan Tacos).
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 5 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- wheat flour tortilla (or any kind you like)
- fry onions and garlic in a little oil.
- Set aside tortillas and mix all other ingredients together.
- Put 1/2 cup mixture in tortillas, fold bottom of tortilla up, sides in and top down over mixture.
- Fry in oil, or a low-fat method is, spray or brush each side of chimis with oil-I use 1/2 tsp.
- oil per chimi.
- If doing this put the chimis on a cookie sheet and bake at 400F degrees about 10 minutes or until the bottom of the chimis are light brown.
- Turn chimis over and bake about another 10 minutes.
This was very good. I made a cheese sauce to go on top. First I made a roue of 2 T crisco melted in a pan then added about 1 T of flour stirred in real good so there were no lumps. I browned it slightly and added about 1-2 c. of milk. This I thickened and added some velveeta cheese about1/2 of a big log. Then I added about 1 c Rotel tomatoes. Stir until cheese is melted. Youn may add salt and pepper if you like. Add this on top of the chimichangas. Delicious. (these measurement are approx.) You could also put chili on top. I also added about 1 c. of cheddar cheese to my refried beans and some milk to make it creamy
Another winner! I just love being able to count on your recipes Carol! They are all so great and this was very easy. Of course zero calories right?
Very simple and great tasting. I used refried black beans and made half vegan (as recipe calls for) and half with some shredded chihuahua white cheese. I sprayed olive oil on all sides and baked, as suggested, for 10 mins. each side.