Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
I found this recipe on BHG website. Thought it would be great for the ZWT4 South American region. Hope to try soon.
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds, freshly ground or 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 rolls, Mexican bolitos or 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 plantains, grilled, recipe follows
- Cover the bottom of a small skillet with the cumin; cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from heat.
- For chimichurri, combine the cumin, cilantro, parsley, vinegar, red pepper, and sea salt or coarse salt in a blender container. Cover and blend on lowest speed, slowly adding the oil.
- Combine ground beef, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the ground red pepper in a large mixing bowl. Shape into 12 patties 3-1/2 inches in diameter. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the chimichurri mixture in the center of each of 6 of the patties. Place remaining patties on top and seal edges.
- Place burger patties on the lightly oiled rack of the grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 18 to 22 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in centers registers 160 degree F, turning once halfway through grilling.
- Brush rolls with some of the chimichurri sauce. Top with burgers, remaining sauce, and tomatoes and onions. Serve with Grilled Plantains, if desired. Makes 6 burgers.
- Grilled Plantains: To make the Grilled Plantains, bias-slice peeled plantains into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Brush with peanut oil. Grill directly over medium heat for 8 minutes or until centers are just soft, turning once. Drain on clean paper towels. Serve warm.