Recipe by Cynna
This Mexican inspired dish is my own creation and is a household favorite! We MUST have this dish at least once a week. Be warned, it's extremely tasty and addictive. We always serve this with Basic Mexican Rice Basic Mexican Rice. I suggest adding a tsp of your favorite hot sauce if you like your filling to pack a little more heat.
Top Review by LUVMY2BOYS
A really fun recipe to try out! I also messed with the spices & got a pretty taste meat mix; I added some chopped spinach & diced zucchini to add nutrition. I admit I chickened out with cooking this like a chimichanga; instead I cooked it on my stovetop like a folded-over quesadilla!! I topped the meat with reduced fat mozzarella & red onions. I served it with some salsa & fat free sour cream. It was yummy, but a tad try so I may try adding a little taco sauce into the meat mix. Thanks so much for sharing this!!
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- olive oil (for frying) or canola oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn oven to 200 degrees.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven to soften and warm.
- In a bowl, combine ground turkey with garlic, onion and spices.
- Mix by hand until well incorporated.
- Cook turkey mixture in skillet over medium heat until meat is done.
- Drain off most of excess fluid.
- Heat oil in skillet on stove on medium-low heat.
- Remove torillas from oven and fill with about 1/4 of turkey mixture.
- Wrap torilla envelope-style and set seam side down on platter.
- Repeat until you have 8 burritos.
- Take burritos and fry two at a time in skillet, about 1 to 2 minutes for each side.
- Be sure to fry seam-side down first to keep a uniform shape.
- Serve hot with shredded cheddar and sour cream and thoroughly enjoy!