Recipe by JB Snead
Some friends of ours made these for a party at their house, and they were fantastic. Particularly delicious with chile con queso on top. These are also fantastic from the fridge the next day; just grab one, heat it up, and eat it like a burrito!
Top Review by Deb's Recipes
Easy and delicious, we love chimichangas and particularly loved these! Their tasty filling combines so well with the nice soft crunch of a pan-fried tortilla wrapper. They do refrigerate very well for future lunches and, no doubt, they would freeze just as well. Thanks ~ I'll definitely be making your chimichangas again!
- 1 lb chicken breast, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 16 ounces picante sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) package Spanish rice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken in skillet with a touch of oil.
- Add bell peppers and salsa.
- Add Spanish Rice, right from the package (uncooked), and water.
- Bring it all to a boil, then let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Lay out the tortillas and spoon some of the mixture into each one.
- Sprinkle each with cheddar cheese.
- Roll each tortilla, 1 side, both ends, then the other side.
- Use a toothpick to hold it closed.
- Fry each tortilla in a skillet of preheated oil.
- Set on paper towel to dry.
- OPTIONALLY, place rolled tortillas in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes instead of frying them.