Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
The best Chimichanga recipe I've come across. Everyone in the family loves it! Especially my 4 year old!
- 3 lbs shoulder boneless chuck roast (you could substitute with chicken also)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup beef stock
- Rub the salt and pepper on the roast. Saute in the oil. Add onion and garlic. Add the beef broth. Cover tightly and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, until roast is very tender. Cool until you can handle the roast. With 2 forks shred the beef into small pieces.
- Add the meat to the broth and add another 1/2°C diced onion. Cook until all liquid is out of the beef. The beef should remain moist but not juicy.
- Warm the tortilla enough so that you can roll it. Place 3/4°C of the mixture in the center of the tortilla. Fold in sides and roll up. Secure with toothpicks.
- To serve: Warm 5 inches oil in Dutch oven or other large pan to 375°F Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Drain.
- Top with cheese sauce, sour cream, tomatoes and salsa. Serve immediately.