Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 2 lbs masa dough, made with maseca
- 2 cups pinto beans, mashed
- 1⁄2 red onion, diced
- 2 lbs pork
- 3 ancho chilies, stems removed,seeded and blanched
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 cloves garlic
- Filling (chilorio): cook pork with water and salt, 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Cool and shred.
- In blender or food processor make salsa with chiles, oregano, cumin, parsley and garlic.
- Add to meat and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Gorditas: Prepare masa as indicated on package; mix with pinch of salt.
- Form masa into gorditas (1/2" thick tortillas).
- Cook in comal or skillet until lightly golden.
- Slice each gordita into halves without separating them.
- Spread with beans and fill with chilorio and diced onion.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
This is wonderful. I couldn't get my gorditas to turn out decently, so I just used flour tortillas, but the filling is just terrific. Thanks for posting.