Recipe by Antifreesz
I got this recipe out of a magazine years ago while on vacation at the Beach. It was very hot and I remember looking at the article and saying to my DH "I want some of this now." Well, we got home and I made it. Even my DH liked it after all his balking about cold soup and just eat watermelon in slices…I love him anyway;)
Top Review by QOU4LIFE
This is fabulous! I did not strain it and I did not add the sparkly water/champagne. I'm going to make it in huge batches to freeze. That way, when I defrost it, I can give it a whir with the bubbly and it should be just like fresh. I can't wait to make more!
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 limes, use one for zest and both for juice
- 3 cups cubed and seeded watermelon
- 2 mint leaves, plus
- more mint leaf, for garnish, if desired
- 1⁄2 cup sparkling wine or 1⁄2 cup sparkling water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small nonstick skillet gently saute ginger,brown sugar and lime zest over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add lime juice and simmer until no liquid remains.
- Transfer mixture to a blenderor or food processor and add watermelon,mint leaves and sparkling wine/water.
- Puree until smooth; strain with sieve into bowl.
- Chill soup for at least 3 hours.