Recipe by teresas
Found this in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine. I haven't tried it yet but sure sounds good. Posting here for safe keeping and warmer weather. If you try it please let me know how it turned out. Cooking time is chill time.
- 6 large tomatoes, cored, halved, and seeded
- 1 medium onion, cut in wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut up
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, seeded and cut up
- 4 medium jalapenos or 4 medium serrano chili peppers or 2 medium habanero peppers, seeded and cut up
- 2 (11 1/2 ounce) cans spicy vegetable juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 (6 ounce) cans crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- chopped fresh chives (optional) or cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425°F Place tomatoes (cut sides up), onion, and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast 30 minutes or until tomato skins are charred. Peel off tomato skins.
- Place tomatoes in food processor. Cover; process until smooth. Transfer to large serving bowl. Place onion, garlic, cucumber, sweet pepper, and chile peppers in food processor. Cover; pulse with on/off turns until chopped to desired consistency.
- Add processed vegetables, vegetable juice, lemon juice, olive oil, sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper to tomatoes. Stir to combine. Cover; chill at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Spoon gazpacho in bowls. Top with crab meat. Sprinkle with chives or cilantro.