Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
We made this simple, tasty lobster dish while on our caravaning (RV'ing) trip to the Great Ocean Road, Victoria, Australia, also excellent made with crab or prawns. A recipe from the Cooks Companion by Stephanie Alexander. Thanks to kdlpmum for recommending this amazing book! I normally use a bit less lobster meat (750grams) - I guess it depends on cost and what is available.
- 1 kg cooked rock lobster meat, chopped into pieces
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 fresh red chilies, seeded and finely chopped, to taste
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 4 green onions, cut into 4 cm lenghts
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon black beans
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornflour, for thickening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2-3 tablespoons sugar, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- To make sauce mix all ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat oil in wok, add garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute, then tip in chilli and stir-fry for another minute.
- Stir sauce ingredients into wok for 2 minutes.
- Add rice vinegar or lemon juice, stirring.
- Add lobster pieces (just enough to heat through- do not cook).
- Crack egg in and mix to form shreds.
- Add coriander and green onions, stir well and serve immediately with bread to mop up the sauce.
- Raw lobsters can be used, just add lobster after step two and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add sauce then cover and simmer over high heat for 5-7 minutes or until lobster shells turn bright red. Carry on with the rest of the steps.