Recipe by auntchelle
This is fast becoming my favourite mid-week dish. It's just so simple. As a variation replace the beef with 6 chicken thigh fillets (into strips) and garnish with 1/4 cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts, fresh coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime. Reference: Donny Hay, The Instant Cook. Australian measurements used.
Top Review by Jewelies
We really enjoyed this and it was so simple to make. I increased the paste by another half and added a few more veggies just to make it a bit more filling for Dave. Especially love the squeeze of lime over the top at the end, don't leave it out. Thanks Mischka.
- 6 large mild red chilies, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped gingerroot
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 teaspoons shrimp paste
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 650 g beef, strips
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 200 g green beans, trimmed
Directions See How It's Made
- Place first 6 ingredients into a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Over medium-high, heat a non-stick frying pan then add the chilli paste. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring, until the mix is thick and fragrant. Depending on the water content of the ingredients this may take even longer.
- Now add the beef and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring the whole time. Add the scallions and beans. Cover. Cook for another 3 minutes, or until beef & vegetables are tender. Serve with steamed rice.