Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Good with a steak, good on toast too;-) Seriously, I love chilli jam and cheese on toast.
- 120 g long red chilies (Use the long, milder red chillies, not the small, hot Thai bird's Eye Chillies.)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- Split chilies in half lengthways, remove seeds and membranes and chop finely.
- Combine with remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over a high heat for 10 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Reduce heat to low and cook stirring occasionally, for a further 5 minutes or until thick and sticky.