Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This one's for you if you like sweet chilli sauce, only it's ten times nicer. Very easy to make and it keeps for a while in the fridge too. Spices up stir-fries any day!
- 10 long chilies, chopped and deseeded
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 head garlic, chopped
- 200 g shallots, chopped
- 100 g palm sugar or 100 g brown sugar, grated
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Process chillies, oil, capsicum, garlic and shallots until smooth.
- Heat wok on medium, and add chilli mixture. Stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar and tamarind and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use as a stir-fry sauce or grilling marinade.
Beautiful chilli jam! The only diference I make is to fry the garlic and onion first then process it along with everything else before cooking it all together. I also use peanut oil instead of veg oil and I put abit of fish sauce or good quality soy sauce to liven up the flavour even more. This is one of the best asian stir-fry sauces, it is a favourite with everyone I have served it to. I stirfry vegetables (mushrooms, tofu, lettuce, celery, zucchini, snow peas etc) in peanut oil then I add this mix this sauce with abit of sweet soy sauce and mix it with the stirfried veg.