1/4 Photos of Chilli Crab
Got this out of the paper advertising a crab festival in 1996. My neighbor loves this for the sauce (hubby gets the crabs), she likes to use it with chicken, fish or beef (dices the meat and simmers in the sauce till cooked and serves over rice with vegetables). I serve it with rice to pour the sauce over and some vegetables to make a complete meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg crab (raw, we use 6 blue manna)
- 1/2-1 tablespoon gingerroot (sliced)
- 3 -4 chilies (we use birds eye)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup water (or chicken or fish stock)
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (hot) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 -2 spring onion (scallions sliced)
- 1If crabs live, put in freezer for 10 minutes to stun.
- 2Remove back shell and clean spongy bits and brown stuff, clean in water.
- 3Cut in half lengthwise.
- 4Remove claws from body and hit with blunt side of a cleaver to crack in several places.
- 5Cut the halves into two or three pieces leaving legs attached.
- 6Pound ginger and chili until they form a paste, or zap in the food processor or blender.
- 7Mix soy sauce, sugar, water (or stock), tomato sauce and chili sauce (if using) in a small jug.
- 8Put oil in a large hot pan or wok and over a medium heat fry ginger/chili mix for a few minutes.
- 9Add the crab pieces and stir fry at a higher heat till crab pieces turn red.
- 10Add liquid mixture and bring back up to the boil, add sesame oil, lower heat to medium and cover with lid for a few minutes giving the occasional stir.
- 11Garnish with sliced spring onion.
- 12Don't forget the finger bowls and a bowl in the middle for the shells and lots of paper serviettes/napkins.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilli Crab
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.9
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 147.5 mg
- Sodium 1071.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 44.9 g