Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
i know my bf will love this one so i put it in so i could reduce the amounts easily to make for 2 people instead of 6
- 500 ml vegetable oil
- 3 flour tortillas, cut into 36 wedges (round (20cm-diameter)
- 6 corn cobs, husks and silk removed (about 800g)
- 450 ml pouring cream
- 900 ml milk
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 -2 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 18 about 600g medium green prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Place the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan. Heat to 180°C over medium-high heat (when the oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 10 seconds). Add 6 tortilla wedges and cook for 1 minute or until golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 5 more batches, with remaining tortilla wedges, reheating the oil between batches. Set aside to cool completely.
- Use a sharp knife to cut down the length of the corncobs, close to the core, to remove the kernels.
- Combine the corn, cream, milk, garlic and sambal oelek in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the corn is tender. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Place half the corn mixture in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Return to the pan. Repeat with the remaining corn mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half the prawns and cook for 1 minute each side or until prawns curl and change colour. Transfer to a plate. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining prawns.
- Divide the soup among serving bowls. Top with the prawns and coriander. Serve with the tortilla crisps.
- Time plan tip: You can prepare this recipe to the end of step 1 up to 1 day ahead. Store in an airtight container. Continue to the end of step 4 up to 5 hours ahead. Store the soup in an airtight container in the fridge. Just before serving, reheat the soup in a saucepan over low heat and continue from step 5.