Recipe by limecat
This is a terrific recipe for adults and kids! You can vary the taste by adding more or less chilli, I don’t put chilli in this dish when making it for school canteen. But would happily add jalapeno’s and red capsicum for an adults party! I make it in bulk and freeze portions for the kids to have as an afternoon snack. This makes about 2kg of con carne. You may like to serve it up in a bowl, topped with some cheese, a dollop of sour cream and fresh mashed avocado, with corn chips on the side. Total meal! This is a variation of other CCC recipies... but specifically altered for school canteen lunches.
- 1 kg beef mince
- 400 g red kidney beans
- 400 g mexican style beans (Jackel mix by Heinz)
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 800 g tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh chili pepper (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons instant bouillon granules
- 2 cups tasty cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 160°C Heat a couple of teaspoons of oil in a large pan and cook the mince on high heat until it's completely browned. Put the mince aside in a large casserole dish.
- Use a can of red kidney beans, wash them thoroughly under running water and drain.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic (I use minced from a jar) and cook until onion is soft. Add and spices and cook (about 1 minute until aromatic).
- Add tomato paste and cook a few more minutes on low heat – You can add some sugar if you don’t have tomato paste.
- Add canned diced tomato (I like to use canned roma tomatoes) and 2 cups of water and the 2 tbs of stock (vegetable or beef), and bring to the boil for a couple of minutes.
- Pour tomato mixture into the casserole dish with the mince.
- Add the drained red kidney beans and stir until well combined. Add the Jackel beans and stir in well.
- Bake the mixture, covered, for about 1 1/2 hour in fan forced oven.
- Put 1 serve in a bowl (about 100gm) with a spoon full of shredded cheese on top, a dollop of sour cream and/or fresh mashed avocado, with 30-50 gm corn chips on the side for dipping.