Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from a recipe I found in an Australian recipe booklet - Survival for the Fittest Cookbook. Quick and tasty. NOTE: The bird's eye chilli or Cili Padi is quite spicy, so it's completely optional - depending on your tolerance to heat. I usually use about 5 chillies (I'm quite a chilli-freak!). This can be served as appetizer too, just omit rice and serve the chicken wrapped in lettuce. Or you can wrap with tortilla/stuff it into pita.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 300 g ground chicken (approx 10 oz, may use pork/beef)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- birds eye chile, de-seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (coriander)
- 3 cups cooked rice, divided (I use long grain jasmine rice)
- iceberg lettuce
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add onion and cook for 2 mins until just soft but not colored.
- Add chicken, garlic, ginger and chilli (if using), cook for 5 mins until browned (break up lumps of meat with a wooden spoon).
- Add pepper and cook for 3 mins more, stirring frequently.
- Add fish sauce and sweet chilli sauce, to taste.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro.
- To serve: Place a cup of cooked rice on iceberg lettuce, then spoon chicken mixture on top of rice.
- Roll up to eat with your fingers.