I battled to make cornbread for ages but found it impossible to find cornmeal in the UK, so I now make this version with Polenta. I'll be honest - I have absolutely no idea what the difference is between cornmeal and polenta (perhaps there is none?), but I reckon this is a really nice recipe all the same. I have no frame of reference, so I can't compare the flavours/textures of this with "proper" cornbread, but hopefully it won't disappoint! This recipe is with chilli & cheese but it's a pretty versatile dish and I've flung all sorts of ingredients into the past (savory or sweet) and it always tastes pretty good to me. My other half particularly enjoys it sweet with oodles of golden syrup!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 175 g polenta
- 125 g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (I use demerera)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (although it works fine without, in my opinion)
- 300 ml milk (I use semi-skimmed)
- 2 eggs
- 60 g butter (or marg. melted)
- 1 red chili pepper (I use medium-hot ones)
- 250 g grated cheese (pick your fave!)
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 200c/400f.
- 2Mix the polenta, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- 3Add the milk, eggs and butter to the dry ingredients and mix well until they become a batter.
- 4Core and de-seed the chilli and chop it finely. Grate the cheese and add it to the batter with the chilli.
- 5Grease a 7 inch baking tin (I use 1 cal spray) and pour the mixture into the tin.
- 6Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
- 7Yum, yum!
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilli & Cheese Cornbread (With Polenta)
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 729.6
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 188.0 mg
- Sodium 1543.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 25.7 g