Recipe by Lene
This is a fantastic chilli with a really developed flavour, which it gets from my secret ingredient - coffee. Try it, it really packs a punch. Serve this chilli in baked potatoes or use it to fill soft tortillas.
Top Review by HungryMonkeys
Did not enjoy this recipe, the chinese 5 spice was somehow wrong made it more like curry than chilli. I followed the recipe but upon tasting quickly added 1tsp cumin, 1tsp ground coriander and 1tsp paprika, this improved the flavour but didn't quite redeem it. I didn't think the coffe was so great in it either. Sorry!
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 red chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 400 g kidney beans, drained
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 150 ml strong black coffee
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 taco shells
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, garlic and chillies for 3-4 minutes until begining to soften. Add the mince and five spice powder and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring, until the meat begins to brown.
- Add the kidney beans, tomatoes and coffee. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the mixture is thick and fairly dark. Season to taste.
- Fill the taco shells with shredded lettuce, then pile in the chilli mixture. Top with a spoonful of soured cream, if liked and a shake of paprika and serve with a leafy green salad.