Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe shared by Mr Falafel from the newsgroup alt.food.vegan. I have posted this here so that I don't lose this recipe as his recipes tend to be very worthwhile.
- 4 medium red onions
- 1 green chili, very finely chopped
- 1 ounce margarine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Remove the outer skin from the onions.
- Trim the tops and cut off the roots so that they stand level.
- Make deep cuts to form a star shape in the top of each onion.
- Beat the chilli into the soft margarine with a round-ended knife and press the mixture into the cuts on each onion.
- Place in a greased ovenproof dish, cover with foil and bake in the pre-heated oven for 40?
- 45 minutes basting several times during cooking.
- Test with the point of a knife to ensure that the onions are tender.
- Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar and serve.
I liked these tender onions. I used jalapeno for the chilie pepper and was hoping for it to be spicy, but I guess the long cooking time mellowed it out. The only change I made was to sub olive oil for the margarine. I would have given this 3 stars because I really liked it but didn't love it. I'm adding a star because the margarine could have given it the flavor I felt was missing. The balsamic drizzle adds a great 'other' flavor but I still think it needed something else. Maybe some spices or at least a little black pepper.