I love a good BBQ but like something a bit different from the normal burgers and kebabs etc. This recipe is one I do for dinner parties as well as for casual summer lunches as it looks interesting and tastes fantastic. It is very easy and quick but looks like you have spent hours on it. It is from Ainsley Harriots "Big Cook Out" published by the BBC which has now become my BBQ bible. The main issue is that the leg of lamb is not too fatty and that you know your butcher to ensure that it is tender. NO MARINADING REQUIRED.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (get the real thing)
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (OK to use light)
- 1 tablespoon hot chili sauce (You wont get burnt and it does give flavour)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh rosemary (you can use dried but use less)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 lbs leg of lamb, boned and butterflied (your butcher will do this)
- 1Very lightly bash the lamb so that it is approx the same thickness all over (about 2inches thick) it doesn't have to be exact as the thicker bits will just be a bit rarer.
- 2For the paste mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl thoroughly.
- 3Take the lamb and put in the bowl with paste and with your hands make sure that you coat the lamb thoroughly with the paste.
- 4Over medium coals/heat cook the lamb turning every 10 miutes or so for abut 35 minutes for pink meat 40-45 minutes for just pink in the centre.NOTE:The paste will go black dont be put off it tastes delicious and looks fantastic.
- 5Remove from heat, let stand lightly covered for about 10 - 15 minutes before serving in 1/4 inch thick slices.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilli and Mustard Crusted Leg of Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 716.1
- Calories from Fat 436
- Total Fat 48.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 227.9 mg
- Sodium 702.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 64.0 g