1/2 Photos of Chilli and Lime Veggie-Burger
Tim Barker's Note:
Fast food seems to generally have a reputation for being unhealthy. There is, of course, no reason why this should be true. By definition the veggie-burger is seen as a great healthy alternative to meat. However, they can be enjoyed for their own sake and not just sandwiched between a bun. The inspiration for this recipe is taken from Middle-Eastern cuisine. I also hope that it is very easy and quick to make as well as tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 75 g couscous
- 75 ml hot water
- 8 pitted dates, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 vegetable stock cube
- 400 g red kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for frying)
- 1Put the dates, couscous, chili powder, ground cardamom, ground paprika, garlic, onion, lime juice, lemon juice salt and pepper and olive oil into a large bowl and mix together.
- 2Mix the vegetable stock in 75ml of hot water and add to the couscous mixture.
- 3Leave the couscous to absorb all the liquid, stirring occasionally. This should take about 15 minutes.
- 4Drain and wash the kidney beans and mash with the back of a spoon or a potato masher.
- 5When the couscous mixture is ready add the kidney beans and breadcrumbs and mix together well. It should form a dough like mixture.
- 6Divide the mixture into eight balls and dust with a little flour, then form and press into burger shapes.
- 7Shallow fry for about 10 minutes on a medium heat in a little olive oil turning occasionally, or until they are golden brown on both sides.
- 8Serve with vegetables and your favourite sauce. Or in a bun with chips of course.
- 9N.B. The couscous should give the burgers a good firm consistency. However, add more breadcrumbs if the mixture is too liquidy.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilli and Lime Veggie-Burger
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.7
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 67.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable stock cubes