Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This delicious chilled soup tastes like summer!
Make and share this Chilled White Bean Salsa Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup dried white beans or 1 cup cannellini beans or 1 cup great northern bean, picked over, soaked overnight
- 1 yellow onion, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 1⁄4 lbs vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 medium red onion, chopped fine
- 1 small fresh jalapeno chile, minced (wear rubber gloves)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh coriander sprig, washed well, spun dry, and chopped fine
- In a medium saucepan, simmer beans, yellow onion, bay leaf and thyme in water to cover by 3 inches, partially covered with lid, until beans are tender, about 40-50 minutes.
- Season beans with salt and cool completely in cooking liquid.
- Drain beans in colander and discard yellow onion, bay leaf and thyme.
- Finely chop enough of tomatoes to measure 1 ½ cups and reserve.
- In a blender, puree remaining tomatoes, half of bell peppers and half of onion until smooth and in a bowl stir together puree, beans, reserved tomatoes, remaining bell peppers and red onion, jalapeno, vinegar, oil and salt to taste.
- Chill soup, covered, at least until cold, about 6 hours, and up to 1 day (after that, it will lose its fresh taste).
- Before serving, season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Before serving, stir in coriander.