1 hr 5 mins
This delicious chilled soup tastes like summer!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried white beans or 1 cup cannellini beans or 1 cup great northern bean, picked over, soaked overnight
- 1 yellow onion, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 1/4 lbs vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 medium red onion, chopped fine
- 1 small fresh jalapeno chile, minced (wear rubber gloves)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup packed fresh coriander sprig, washed well, spun dry, and chopped fine
- 1In a medium saucepan, simmer beans, yellow onion, bay leaf and thyme in water to cover by 3 inches, partially covered with lid, until beans are tender, about 40-50 minutes.
- 2Season beans with salt and cool completely in cooking liquid.
- 3Drain beans in colander and discard yellow onion, bay leaf and thyme.
- 4Finely chop enough of tomatoes to measure 1 ½ cups and reserve.
- 5In a blender, puree remaining tomatoes, half of bell peppers and half of onion until smooth and in a bowl stir together puree, beans, reserved tomatoes, remaining bell peppers and red onion, jalapeno, vinegar, oil and salt to taste.
- 6Chill soup, covered, at least until cold, about 6 hours, and up to 1 day (after that, it will lose its fresh taste).
- 7Before serving, season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- 8Before serving, stir in coriander.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilled White Bean Salsa Soup
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.3
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 24.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 15.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: