Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great starter for a summertime BBQ or meal-type salad. Originally from a July 1983 issue of Bon Apetit that featured "New Soups for Summer".Chill time is not included in prep time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 ounces cabbage, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 firmly packed cups)
- 4 ounces zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned roma tomato, drained
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small celery rib, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced (or 1/4 t. dried rosemary, crumbled)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth (or more)
- 1⁄2 lb small great northern bean
- 6 slices Italian bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- parmesan cheese, for topping soup
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute 2 to 3 minutes.
- Abb cabbage, zucchini,leeks,tomatoes,carrots,celery, rosemary,red pepper flakes, and salt and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add water, 2 cups beef broth and beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup in batches in blender; chill several hours or up to 1 week.
- To serve, thin soup with additional broth, if desired.
- Toast bread;rub lightly with cut sides of garlic clove.
- Brush bread with most of remaining olive oil.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls.
- Top with a crouton and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
- Place several drops of remaining olive oil into each bowl and serve.