Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This tastes like summer. A minimum of 6 hours to 'marry' flavours in the fridge required.
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 1⁄4 lbs vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil leaf, washed well,spun dry,and chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- In a small skillet, dry-roast garlic over medium-low heat, turning it occasionally, until skin is browned and garlic is tender, about 20 minutes; peel garlic; in a blender puree garlic and tomatoes in batches and force through a fine sieve into a bowl; stir in vinegar, Tabasco, best-quality extra virgin olive oil and salt to taste; Chill soup, covered, at least until cold, about 6 hours, and up to 1 day (after that, it will lose its fresh taste); before serving, stir in basil and season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Enjoy the taste of summer!
It DOES taste like summer. I had just-picked tomatoes and basil from the garden. This was lovely -- a kind of refined, understated gazpacho. It all got 'drunk' right up.