Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Based on a Martha Stewart recipe. I substitute yogurt for the buttermilk originally called for. Garnish with diced avocado.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb tomatillo, husked, rinsed and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 avocados
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatillos, garlic and poblano pepper and cook 5 minutes. Raise heat to medium high, add chicken stock, cumin and cilantro, and cook 10 minutes more. Remove from heat and cool.
- Pour mixture along with avocados into food processor and puree until smooth, or use submersion blender to puree in the pot.
- Add yogurt, salt and pepper and combine well. Transfer to bowl and chill in refrigerator.
This was amazing! I followed the recipe as is, but used 99% fat free chicken broth, a jalapeno instead of a poblano (that's what I had on hand) and greek yogurt. We'd had tomatillas in food before, but never anything we'd made, and this was a wonderful recipe to start with. It was easy to make (basically just alot of chopping and stirring) and well worth the effort. We will definitely be making this again, and I can't wait to have the leftovers for dinner this week! Thanks so much for sharing. Btw, with my changes I calculated the value of the recipe to be 2 WW points/serving.