1/1 Photo of Chilled Tomatillo Soup
1 hr 30 mins
From a fantastic regional cookbook from the Junior League of North Harris County (Houston). It is called Texas Ties, and I have NEVER had a bad recipe from the book. This is good both hot or cold. As would be expected with tomatillos and lime juice, this soup is quite citrus-y. I like the leftover soup as a dip with raw jicama.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces fresh tomatillos, husks removed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded poblano peppers or 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapenos
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled jicama
- sliced tomatillo (optional)
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- sliced almonds (optional)
- 1Combine the tomatillos with enough water to cover in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain tomatillos.
- 2In a large food processor (or in batches in the blender, or using a stick blender), process the tomatillos, onion, poblanos, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, salt, sugar, and garlic until smooth.
- 3Combine the tomatillo mixture with the half and half and jicama in a bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate to allow flavors to meld (1 to 4 hours).
- 4Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each with additional tomatillos, cilantro, and almonds.
- 5For a smoother soup, process the jicama as well.
- 6For a heated soup, you may find it neccessary to thin with chicken stock.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilled Tomatillo Soup
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 60.7
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 41.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: