Another Japanese hot-weather light salad meal or appetizer from Sonoko Kondo,'s 1986 book, "The Poetical Pursuit of Food". It tastes great with sake. The sesame seed oil called for is UN-toasted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces boneless chicken, on the bone (2 large breast halves or 4 small thighs)
- 4 tablespoons sake
- 2/3 seedless European cucumber
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1Heat water in a large steamer.
- 2In a soup bowl, marinate chicken in sake for 15 minutes. Place the bowl in the steamer and cook for 20 minutes. Let cool completely in the broth, then shred evenly, discarding skin.
- 3Mix sauce ingredients until sugar has dissolved.
- 4Slice cucumber into thin julienne strips, 2 inches long.
- 5Toss shredded chicken and cucumber together with the sweet and sour sauce. Refrigerate and serve well chilled.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilled Sweet and Sour Chicken and Cucumber
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.9
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 63.7 mg
- Sodium 1067.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 18.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: