Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
This chilled soup is good for a hot, summer day. We found this one after my daughter had a similar soup on a cruise and came home raving about it.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 lbs any summer squash, peeled and sliced
- 1 sprig fresh basil
- sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- In a large skillet heat butter and oil; saute onion.
- Add broth, salt, pepper, squash, and basil.
- Cook over low heat 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool.
- Puree in blender in portions.
- Season to taste with white pepper.
- When ready to serve, garnish each bowl with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.