Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
With the summer heat, there is nothing that hits the spot like a yummy chilled salad. I got this from a friend of mine. Cooking time does not reflect chill time.
- 1 head lettuce, clean, dry, and torn into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup frozen green pea, thawed, uncooked
- 2 (8 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts
- 3 bananas, sliced, tossed in
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts, your choice
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, mild
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green onion, only green part
- 10 slices bacon, cooked crisp, chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- In a large dish, layer ingredients in order above, stop after the nuts.
- Mix dressing and let stand for 5 minutes. Spread dressing over entire salad.
- Sprinkle with cheese, green onions, and bacon.
- Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
This was good but the dressing needed something and I found it to be a little too sweet, next time I will experiment with some garlic and herbs and reduce the sugar slightly, thanks for sharing kcdlong!...Kitten