Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a refreshing, low-calorie soup that makes an excellent first course for a warm weather dinner. Serve it with grilled or poached salmon and your favorite chocolate dessert for a summertime treat! From a May 1978 issue of Bon Apetit.The soup may be prepared 3 days ahead, or may be frozen before adding the lemon peel and buttermilk. Chilling time is not included in prep time.
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons tapioca (instant)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cantaloupes, chilled
- 4 paper-thin lemon slices
- Set aside 6 strawberries;puree remaining berries in a food processor or blender; strain into 4-quart saucepan.
- Add orange juice.
- In a small bowl, mix tapioca with 4 tablespoons pureed strawberry mixture.
- Add to saucepan with allspice and cinnamon.
- Heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook about 1 minute, or until thickened;remove from heat.
- Pour soup into large bowl.
- Add sugar, lemon peel, juice and buttermilk and blend well.
- Slice reserved berries and fold into soup.
- Cover and chill at least 8 hours to allow flavors to blend and soup to chill.
- Cut melons in half, making sawtooth edges.( You may need to cut a thin slice from the bottom of the melon so it will sit securely.).
- Turn melons upside down on paper towels to drain.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Fill melons with soup and float a lemon slice on each.