1/1 Photo of Chilled Strawberry and Pimm's Zabaglione
2 hrs 25 mins
This has got to be one of the most visually impressive desserts I have made. It looks so pretty in a glass and is so light and fluffy that no one will believe you made it! If you can't get Pimm's (a British drink) you could try substituting another hard liquor but I think it is worth the effort to find the Pimm's as it adds a very unique taste. If you are making this for a party, the zabaglione can be made as much as a day ahead of time. Preparation and cooking times include chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon golden caster sugar
For the Zabaglione
- 1Sprinkle the strawberries with the sugar and set aside for 2-4 hours.
- 2Put the gelatine leaves into a small bowl of cold water and leave for five minutes until soft.
- 3If using the powdered gelatine, stir into the very hot water until dissolved.
- 4Pour 3 tbs of the Pimm's into a small saucepan and heat gently.
- 5If using the gelatine leaves, squeeze the water from the gelatine and add to the hot Pimm's, whisking furiously until dissolved.
- 6The procedure is the same for the powdered, except that you just stir the whole mixture in, including the water.
- 7Set the Pimm's and gelatine mixture aside but keep warm.
- 8Now, bring an inch or two of water to a bare simmer in a saucepan that will hold a large mixing bowl, without the bottom of the bowl touching the water.
- 9Put the egg yolks and sugar into the mixing bowl, off the heat.
- 10Use an electric beater to whisk for three minutes, until thick and pale.
- 11Pour in the remaining Pimm's (not the gelatine mixture) and beat for another minute.
- 12Put the bowl over the barely simmering water and beat continuously until the mixture has at least doubled and looks frothy, like the head on a glass of Guinness.
- 13Take off the heat, pour in the gelatine mixture and beat for one minute.
- 14Place the bowl in a sink of ice-cold water and cool for about 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- 15Whip the cream into soft peaks and then whisk it into the zabaglione.
- 16Spoon into four large wine glasses, leaving an inch at the top for the strawberries.
- 17Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- 18Just before serving, spoon the strawberries and their juices into the top of the glasses.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilled Strawberry and Pimm's Zabaglione
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.9
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 308.5 mg
- Sodium 23.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 30.6 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: