Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an adapted Mollie Katzen recipe from her website that will be perfect for those hot summer evenings. Preparation time does not include time spend in the refrigerator chilling.
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 5 cups water or 5 cups broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 2 cups leeks, well cleaned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, washed, and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh dill
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- white pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill (to garnish)
- Bring the potatoes, broth or water, and salt to a boil in a soup pot; turn down and simmer slowly for about 20 minutes.
- Add the leeks, garlic and spinach during the last 5 minutes.
- Use a food processor or hand blender to puree the soup and all the veggies until smooth. You will probably have to do this in batches in the processor.
- Transfer the soup to a container, cover tightly and chill for about 4-5 hours or overnight.
- Stir in the buttermilk just before serving and add white pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle on the fresh dill for garnish.