Recipe by Rita~
A tangy cold refreshing spring soup. Spinach may be used. Use young tender leaves of the sorrel.Cooking time does include chilling time. Can also be chilled overnight.
Top Review by French Tart
Excellent! I make sorrel soup regularly - but I love to try slightly different recipes - this was a winner! I halved the quantities as there were only two of us and I did not need to use the sugar, as my sorrel leaves were small and not too bitter. I did not have any cucumbers for the garnish - but I will try that next time! Thanks Sassy Rita for a wonderful recipe! FT:-)
- 4 cups water
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 lb sorrel, steamed & chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of, fresh
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream, light is good
- fresh dill, Chopped
- cucumber, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, bring the water, potatoes, dill & scallions to a medium boil & cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped sorrel & lemon juice, salt, pepper & sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat & discard the dill sprigs.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the cold water till light.
- Very slowly pour 2 cups of the hot stock.
- into the egg mixture, stirring constantly to prevent curdling. Then pour egg mixture back into the soup pot, stirring thoroughly.
- Chill until very cold, at least 3 hours.
- Just before serving, whisk in the sour cream & garnish with dill. Top with cucumbers.