Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A tangy cold refreshing spring soup. Spinach may be used. Use young tender leaves of the sorrel.Cooking time does include chilling time. Can also be chilled overnight.
- 4 cups water
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 lb sorrel, steamed & chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of, fresh
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream, light is good
- fresh dill, Chopped
- cucumber, diced
- In a soup pot, bring the water, potatoes, dill & scallions to a medium boil & cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped sorrel & lemon juice, salt, pepper & sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat & discard the dill sprigs.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the cold water till light.
- Very slowly pour 2 cups of the hot stock.
- into the egg mixture, stirring constantly to prevent curdling. Then pour egg mixture back into the soup pot, stirring thoroughly.
- Chill until very cold, at least 3 hours.
- Just before serving, whisk in the sour cream & garnish with dill. Top with cucumbers.
Excellent! I make sorrel soup regularly - but I love to try slightly different recipes - this was a winner! I halved the quantities as there were only two of us and I did not need to use the sugar, as my sorrel leaves were small and not too bitter. I did not have any cucumbers for the garnish - but I will try that next time! Thanks Sassy Rita for a wonderful recipe! FT:-)