Recipe by drhousespcatcher
Adopted 7/28 Make at your own risk until I work with it. It might be like the wonderful potatoes. Fantastic or .. not. If you make it please give feedback and tell me what you liked and what you did so I can use this to improve the recipe if needed.
- 3 carrots
- 7 cups water, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron thread
- 12 ounces sugar snap peas, ends trimmed
- 1 quart vegetable stock or 1 quart broth
- 2 ounces chopped scallions
- 2 ounces diced celery
- 1 ounce minced fresh oregano
- kosher salt
- white pepper
- 4 ounces plain nonfat yogurt
- 6 sprigs fresh oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and cut the carrots into 18 1/2-inch discs of equal size. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, place 3 cups water and saffron threads; bring to a boil and add the carrots. Return to a boil, then remove from heat, and allow to cool in the saffron water.
- The carrots should be just tender and well-flavored with saffron. Drain and pat dry. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring 4 cups water to a boil; add snap peas. Cook for 30 seconds or until crisp-tender and bright green.
- Immediately remove from heat and drain into a sieve. Rinse under cold water until peas are well chilled. Drain and dry well. Remove 18 snap peas for garnish and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, place vegetable stock; bring to a boil and add remaining snap peas, scallions, celery, oregano, salt, and pepper. Return to a boil; immediately reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender, puree soup mixture until smooth. Pour pureed soup mixture into a non-porous container and place in an ice water bath to quickly cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, whisk in yogurt and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve in chilled soup bowls.
- Garnish each bowl with 3 carrot discs, 3 snap peas, and a fresh oregano spring. Serve immediately.