Recipe by Witch Doctor
Everyone looks forward to lunch. The energy supplied by the food prevents the mid-afternoon droops. And, the mental and social break revives the enthusiam for the rest of the day's activities. Lunch can also provide some fun for the chef. This is the time to improvise with leftovers stowed in the 'fridge, with glorious salad ingredients, and with all kinds of quick and packaged breads. This colorful Chilled Shrimp and Fruit Curry could also be a refreshing supper entree on a hot summer day. Serve it with toasted French bread if you don't feel like baking. Serve with a crisp chocolate wafer or vanilla cookie with coffee ice cream and a splash of Kahlua for dessert.
Top Review by Cookin-jo
This was a refreshing and light dish that I really enjoyed. The curry dressing was so simple to make but delicious and I liked the fruit with the shrimp. I substituted cherries for the plums and chives for the green onions. I used leaf lettuce instead of iceberg and my lettuce turned out to be bitter which was a disappointment. I think next time I'll skip the lettuce altogether. This would great to serve as part of a brunch buffet. Thanks, Witch Doctor!
- 1⁄2 head medium iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, cooked, peeled, deveined, and chilled
- 2 medium nectarines, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 5 medium plums, seeded and sliced
- 2 medium nectarines, seeded and sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 green onions, sliced
For the Curry Dressing
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place lettuce on a large platter.
- Combine shrimp, chopped nectarines, and plums in a large mixing bowl. Spoon shrimp mixture onto center of lettuce.
- Arrange nectarine slices and pineapple around edge of platter. Sprinkle green onions on top.
- Serve with the Curry Dressing.
- For the Curry Dressing:.
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl, stirring well. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Yield: 1 cup.