Prep 8 mins
Cook 0 mins
One of my family's favorite salads! Prep time does not include cooking the rice. This needs to chill for minumum of 3 hours before serving, so plan ahead. Please don't leave out the pimientos, this is really what brings out the flavor in this salad. I have even added in crumbled feta cheese or cubed cheddar cheese, but that is optional. All ingredients can be adjusted to suit taste. Recipe may be doubled if desired.
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 3 -4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup radish, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, drained and diced (can use 2 jars)
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (can use more if desired)
- 1⁄4 cup French dressing (or to taste, I use Kraft)
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients; mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, relish, salad dressing, salt and pepper; add to the rice mixture; stir to combine well.
- Chill in the fridge for 3 or more hours before serving.
My surrogate mom used to make this for Christmas parties but she didn't out any eggs in it - instead she put water chestnuts. And it was yummy!
My best friend's mom makes this for picnics and it is delicious! A nice change from the usual picnic salads. She uses only 2 tbsp or so of the French dressing. I must agree about the pimientos....don't skip them! Next time we have all that leftover rice from the Chinese takeout, I'm making this!