Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lentil soup isn't just for winter anymore! "Minestra Fredda di Lenticchie e Spinaci"...a chilled puree of lentil soup with spinach from The Lighter Side of Italy. You can use a rich veggie broth to make this a vegan soup, although you might want to increase the spices slightly if you do. (I tend to add a bit of rosemary) Best if made the day before so that the flavors can really mingle. Prep time does not include final chilling time. Keeps well in refrigerator for up to a week or in freezer for up to 3 months.
- In large stock pot, heat olive oil and sauté onion, celery, and garlic until limp.
- Add lentils and broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Cool slightly.
- Using blender, puree soup in batches; return to stock pot.
- Rinse spinach in colander and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Add spinach to soup, stirring to combine completely.
- Place in non-reactive (glass or plastic) container and chill, covered, in refrigerator.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Excellent!! Highly recommended. I did add salt and peper, and I didn't have spinach so I used kale. But htis is one I'll be making again for sure.