Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great salad to serve to guests; it can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge until serving time. Watch the lentils very carefuly while cooking them, you don't want them to overcook and lose their texture and shape. Chill time (1-2 hours) is not included in prep and cook time.
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 lb dried lentils, cleaned
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, bring the water and salt to a boil; add the lentils, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender but not overcooked; drain.
- In a colander, rinse the cooked lentils under cold water until slightly cool, then place them in a bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients; pour over the lentils and combine well.
- Chill for 1 to 2 hours and serve cold.
This is the first time I have ever made lentil salad, and it won't be the last! This was a nice, mild salad that I enjoyed. I used balsamic vinegar instead of white wine vinegar. Thanks for posting! :)