Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A chilled souffle
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- In a small heavy saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water.
- Stir over low heat until dissolved.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites with ½ cup sugar until think and pale in color. Beat in lemon juice, rind and dissolved gelatin.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook, stirring constantly over medium low heat until slightly thickened. Do not boil.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Chill until cool and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks; gradually add ¼ cup sugar, beating constantly to stiff peaks.
- Fold into lemon mixture.
- Whip cream and fold in gently.
- Pour into serving dishes and chill until set.
- Garnish with whipped cream, thin lemon slices or shredded lemon rind.