Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
No milk, heavy cream, or cream cheese, easy ingredients, fresh tasting, stove top (no baking), EASY, NO FAIL!! Found in a church fundraiser cookbook submitted by U. Lindman, although I did tweak the directions a bit. The amount of lemon in the filling can be easily adjusted to your preferences by increasing or decreasing the lemon juice added in the last cooking step. My son loves this! *Time does not include chilling.*
- Mix egg yolks, zest, 1/2 the lemon juice, and butter in a bowl and set aside.
- In a seperate bowl mix cold water, salt, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Bring hot water and sugar to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add cornstarch, cold water, salt mixture to pan stirring constantly to aviod lumps. Cook until thick.
- Turn heat down and stir in yolk, zest, butter mixture. Cook a few minutes longer.
- TASTE! The remainder of lemon juice can be added to your liking. My son loves strong lemon so I add all the juice and sometimes even more from a concentrate.
- Pour into pie shell and let cool uncovered on counter for about 20 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Right before serving top the pie with cool whip as thick as you want. The sweetness offsets the lemon nicely so if you accidently made the filling too strong just top with more than average cool whip.