Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Wonderful for hot summer days.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 leeks, finely chopped (white part only)
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 4 cups fresh peas, shelled
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried chervil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- In soup pot or large saucepan, melt butter.
- Add leeks and cook until tender but not brown.
- Stir in lettuce and cook until wilted.
- Add peas and combine well.
- Add stock, parsley, tarragon, chervil, pepper and just a sprinkling of salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and cover and cook until peas are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Puree soup in a blender.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Stir in cream.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Adjust consistency with additional stock or cream if necessary.
We had tried a lettuce pea soup at a local restaurant and I needed to use up a glut of leftover salad greens from a wedding. I used onion instead of leek, way more lettuce (mixed with red cabbage, carrots) and frozen peas. No dried chervil. Delish