Recipe by Sharon123
This is full of energy and so good for you! Adapted from a spirulina website!
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
I think these needed a little extra sweetener. With all the healthy stuff, the flavor was a tad bitter(?). Although, I realize I forgot the vanilla, so maybe that's what did it. I used chopped dried cranberries and pineapple, 1/4 C sunflower and 1/4 C pumpkin seeds, 1/2 C shredded coconut (in the mixture), almond butter (that I tried to make at home and had turned out more like almond meal! So this was great for it) and a little peanut butter. It was VERY sticky, so I tried adding some flour and some oatmeal to stiffen it up but still had to grease my hands to roll them. They are quite soft, even in the fridge. I will try them again and play with getting them more stiff (like PB balls) bcz I think these would be a great snack for the kids. I also used powdered skim milk and rolled them in wheat germ, as kids don't like coconut (will try something else next time too).
- 4 mashed ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pre-soaked dried fruit (tropical mix)
- 1⁄2 cup ground sunflower seeds or 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 3⁄4 cup almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 9 ounces nut butter (almond, cashew, brazil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon spirulina powder (or wheatgrass, or barley grass powder)
- coconut, for rolling (optional)
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk powder (or skim milk)