From lakeside.organic.com. This salad recipe demands those gorgeous colorful heirloom and specialty carrots available at farmers' markets, local nurseries (or your very own garden!). Use different colors of carrots for a beautiful presentation on your picnic table!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups organic carrots, unpeeled and sliced lengthwise in half and then crosswise in half (orange, white, rainbow, indigo, etc.)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (for a less pronounced onion taste use shallots) or 1/2 cup red onion, diced small (for a less pronounced onion taste use shallots)
- 1Note: If the carrots are large you'll need to quarter then lengthwise.
- 2Lightly steam or parboil the carrots until just tender but still crisp. (It's better to steam than to parboil to maintain the nutrients.).
- 3Drain and then immediately rinse with cold water to stop the carrots from cooking. Set aside to drain.
- 4Meanwhile, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- 5Place the drained carrots and onions on a serving platter or in a large salad bowl.
- 6Pour the dressing over the carrots and onions. Toss.
- 7Cover and chill at least 3 hours.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilled Dilled Summer Carrot Salad
Serving Size: 1 (33 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 45.7
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: