Recipe by COOKGIRl
From lakeside.organic.com. This salad recipe demands those gorgeous colorful heirloom and specialty carrots available at farmers' markets, local nurseries (or your very own garden!). Use different colors of carrots for a beautiful presentation on your picnic table!
- 2 cups organic carrots, unpeeled and sliced lengthwise in half and then crosswise in half (orange, white, rainbow, indigo, etc.)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced shallots (for a less pronounced onion taste use shallots) or 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced small (for a less pronounced onion taste use shallots)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (experiment with another flavored vinegar)
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (FRESH!)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: If the carrots are large you'll need to quarter then lengthwise.
- Lightly steam or parboil the carrots until just tender but still crisp. (It's better to steam than to parboil to maintain the nutrients.).
- Drain and then immediately rinse with cold water to stop the carrots from cooking. Set aside to drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Place the drained carrots and onions on a serving platter or in a large salad bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the carrots and onions. Toss.
- Cover and chill at least 3 hours.